I am pleased to announe Prima Materia London's Finest Masterclass no. 2 will take place on 13 November!
Class objective: Arabesque, attitude and a la seconde = the Queen of the Dryads
This is a masterclass to learn a proper arabesque. It might be helpful if we can learn it in relation to attitude and a la seconde. We will touch upon the Queen of the Dryads variation, which is all about arabesque, attitude and a la seconde and includes the very challenging Italian Fouettés.
To book a studio class, click here
To book an online class, click here
Teacher: Dmitri Gruzdev
When: 5-7 pm British winter time (5-7 pm GMT), Saturday 13 November
Where: The Place/London Contemporary Dance School
The Place, Flaxman Terrace, London WC1H 9AT
Fantastic Studio 8/ Cohan Studio!
If you have not been here before, look for the glass building. The Place also has a red-brick theatre on Duke’s Road, which is a wrong location for us.
Please arrive in advance and check in at the front desk. Please follow the studios’ Covid restrictions.
Class level: Beginner/intermediate to advanced. Basic ballet knowledge is necessary.
This will be a mixed level. To make space for everyone, please be kind to each other and respect each other’s levels. Pointe shoes are welcome but please talk to and listen to your body for your own safety.
Class description and objective
• Studio opens at 5 pm London time
• Quick introduction
• Barre work for 40-45 minutes
• A very short break for changing shoes, wiping sweat and tears, changing into tutus, hydrating and munching chocolate bars etc.
• A short centre work – this will be focused on arabesque, attitude and a la second
• The Queen of the Dryads variation from Don Quixote – We stick to the Mariinsky version.
Please see the movie clip on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yI4hN1AiyRQ
Please note the world class dancers make this variation look easy but it is actually highly demanding. Please make sure to talk to your body and listen to your body.
Dmitri trained at the Vaganova Academy in St. Petersburg and graduated in 1989 when he was offered a position at the Kirov Ballet, now Mariinsky Theatre.
In 1993 he joined English National Ballet, where he was a senior principal dancer for many years. During his time as a dancer, he worked with some of the world's finest choreographers, directors and ballerinas, including Natalia Makarova, Glen Tetley, Tamara Rojo, Darcey Bussell and many more.
Dmitri retired from ENB in 2016, and he is now the most sought after teacher and repetiteur with a full diploma from the Royal Ballet School Teacher Training Programme. Since then, he has worked with students and professional dancers from such companies as the Bolshoi Ballet, Rambert Ballet School, Schottish Ballet, English National Ballet, Ballet Black and also taught at open classes.
• Cancellation policy: Cancellation deadline is 24 hours before the studio and online classes start. After this point, any refund cannot be made.
• The teacher, I or the studios cannot be held responsible for your injury or illness regardless when and where it is sustained. So PLEASE talk to and listen to your body.
• Although London is reopening, the studio still has its own Covid policy in place. Please kindly respect it.
Should you have any questions, please message me. I look forward to seeing you in studios! Ikuko
Image credit Dmitri Gruzdev